Friday, July 19, 2013

We arrived in Beijing!

There were three other Holt families on our flight from Detroit to Beijing. It was so nice to start our trip surrounded by others about to meet their new children. The 13 hour flight was long, but I was so relieved we were able to find a direct flight from Michigan. Linh slept the last 4 hours and I tried to sleep a couple of hours. John slept quite a bit of the flight.  I had really forgotten how awful airplane food is and there were at least three meals served. Glad I had a bag of snack food.

When we arrived it was Thursday afternoon in Beijing. By the time we found our luggage and guide, and then drove the 90 minutes to the Peace Novotel Hotel it was after 5pm (China time) which was 5am Michigan time. Linh and John went for dinner with the other families. I could not keep my eyes open so I stayed at the hotel and slept. I knew I would not have a problem sleeping through the night even though I went to bed at 6pm.  I was still tired when the alarm went off at 4:30 the next morning.  But we had to get to the breakfast buffet and be ready to leave the hotel by 8am to drive the Great Wall of China with a number of other families. The Great Wall is amazing. Parts of it are very steep but John and Linh managed to reach four towers. I can't say the same for me. But I went as far as I could.

The day we arrived in Beijing we asked if it was foggy that day, but the guide indicated it was smog. The day we went to the Great Wall the sun broke through the smog - which our guide said had not happened much in July.

 
 
                                            

No comments: